Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Storytime - Bees

Toddler

Books: Chicky Chicky Chook Chook by Cathy MacLennon and Bear and Bee by Sergio Ruzzier


Songs / Rhymes: “Good Morning”, “Hello, How Are You?”, “Open, Shut Them”, “Bumble Bee” with bee puppet, “I’m Bringing Home a Baby Bumble Bee” with bee puppet, “I Wiggle My Fingers”, and “The More We Get Together”.

Craft: Bumble Bees. Materials: black construction paper wings, yellow construction bodies, googly eyes, crayons, glue, and tape. The toddlers glued their bee parts together and then drew on black stripes. We had a record high attendance on this day and I ran out of crafts for the older siblings!




Preschool

Books: Buzz by Janet S. Wong and Bear and Bee by Sergio Ruzzier.

Songs / Rhymes: “Welcome to the Library”, “Hello, How Are You?”, “Hi There, So Glad You Came”, “If You’re Happy and You Know It”, “Open, Shut Them”, “Bumble Bee” with bee puppet, “Head and Shoulders”, and “The More We Get Together”.


Craft: Bee Windsocks: black construction paper stripes, white construction paper handles, sheet of yellow construction paper, yellow streamers, glue, tape, crayons, and scissors. The preschoolers glued the black stripes to the yellow paper, added the yellow streamers at the bottom, and placed the handles on top. They had fun pretending that bees were flying around the room. We had another very large group in this class and I ran out of crafts for the older siblings again!






Songs/Rhymes

Bumble Bee
Sung to: "Are You Sleeping"
Bumble bee, bumble bee
Don't sting me, don't sting me.
Just fly to your home,
And leave me alone.
Don't sting me, don't sting me.
--PreschoolEducation

I'm Bringing Home a Baby Bumble Bee
I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee.
Won't my mommy be so proud of me?
I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee.
Bzz, bzz, bzz says the bee.
--Babies in the Library by Jane Marino. Lanham, MD: The Scarecrow Press, 2003.

2 comments:

  1. Chicky Chicky Chook Chook is one of my favorite read alouds, and grossly overlooked, I think. It's great to see it highlighted! I also like the simple take on Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee. Thanks for sharing!
    Melisa
    "Miss Lisa"
    NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for good read alouds for toddler's at my Tiny Tots storytimes. Thanks for posting your ideas. It's such a tough age to get and keep their interest. I've gone away from themes and have decided to read 2 good books with lots of movement in between. And now that I have 2 grandchildren under 3, I realize how different the experience is for a child who is used to being read to on your lap, then coming to storytime and listening to the "storytime" lady in front of you with a group of children.

    ReplyDelete