Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Craziness

Hey there, folks!

This blog has been pretty quiet the past week or two, and I want you all to know that I'm still here. Turns out, being the Acting Branch Manager is harder than it looks! I also got word that I'll be working ten days in a row. Yikes! Hopefully I'll get time to catch up, but in the meantime, here are a few projects I'm working on.

1. Throne of Fire release party - Anytime a new Rick Riordan book comes out is cause for celebration. My branch had a release party for it today, and though it didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would, we had a good time, and I hope I made some new friends out of the kids.

2. Summer storytimes - I have been able to plan four and a half of my Summer storytimes this week and last. I also was lucky enough to get a student volunteer on Saturday, and now all of my name tags for the Summer session are finished. And it's only the first week of May!

3. SRP Prep - From collating reading packets to printing out performer posters to readying my program room, I'm prepping and I'm prepping early. My plan is to make a display in the room called Sea How Much We've Read. It will be an undersea scene, and for every ten books the kids read, I'll add a fish to the scene. Problem is, judging by last year's counts, my kids read over 17,000 books, so I'll need 1700 fish. Good thing we have a die cut machine and plenty of extra circulation and shelving staff this week and next!

4. New Children's book display - I have the books up for my May is for Mythical Creatures display, just no sign. Every time I try to sit down at my desk, I realize I'm not supposed to be at my desk. I'm supposed to sit in the big, awesome office which doesn't have the fonts I need to make the sign. I know, I know, not a good excuse, but I'm slowly getting the sign made.

5. I'll need to be thinking of a new display for the case. I don't think the bunny in the case wants to be in there anymore. He keeps giving me these stares.

6. Trying to keep the middle-schoolers under control - When am I NOT doing this? It's a constant battle, and we're slowly reaching common ground, just in time for school to be over. Next year, I'm hoping to turn our meeting room into a study center two days a week so that they have some place to blow off steam if they need it (and eat their snacks).

That's all I've got for you now. I have a few storytimes to post and a breakdown of how I do my storytimes (a little late to the party, I know, but it's better late than never!).

No comments:

Post a Comment